Ayurveda, the traditional Indian system of medicine in India offers a holistic approach towards alcohol addiction with several natural remedies. In this blog, we will look into the best ayurvedic herbs for alcohol addiction to get rid of this social vice naturally.
Alcohol consumption or addiction to be precise, is a concern which is growing rapidly worldwide. The devastating consequences of Alcohol consumption are not limited to the addicted person as it impacts those around them and their loved ones not only physically but also emotionally, mentally and socially.
If you are looking to quit drinking, then this list of ayurvedic herbs for alcohol addiction may really help you overcome it. But first let’s talk a little about alcohol addiction.
Also Read: Life After Alcohol: 10 Ways to Improve It
What is Alcohol Addiction?
In today’s time everyone drinks right? So, is it an addiction? It would be great if we understand what alcohol addiction is before discussing the herbal remedies to quit alcohol.
If someone is feeling a compulsive and uncontrollable need for drinking alcohol even after its negative effects on their physical health, relationships and mental-well being and overall life functioning, then this state is considered as alcohol addiction or alcoholism.
Then it becomes a serious condition also known as Alcohol Use Disorder (AUD) that requires attention and treatment. If not identified or treated at early stages, liver damage due to alcohol may lead to liver cirrhosis or even liver failure
Best Natural/ Ayurvedic Herbs for Alcohol Addiction
There are many herbs, shrubs or trees which are renowned for their medicinal properties in Ayurveda. Based on ancient wisdom of Indian alternative medicine and now backed by scientific studies, these ayurvedic herbs can help you get rid of your addiction naturally.
When you incorporate these amazing herbs in your meal and diet plan, they help detoxify your body naturally. They also help control cravings of alcohol and reverse the bad effects of alcoholism.
Without any further ado, we give you 10 powerful ayurvedic herbs for alcohol addiction to help you get rid of it naturally and without any relapse.
Top 10 Most Powerful Ayurvedic Herbs for Alcohol Addiction to Quit it Naturally
- Ashwagandha (Withania somnifera)
Ashwagandha also called Indian Ginseng is known for its adaptogenic properties. It helps the body to adapt to the common triggers of alcohol consumption such as stress and anxiety supporting overall well-being, which makes it a useful addition to quit alcohol. 
Key benefits of Ashwagandha in a natural remedy to quit alcohol:
- Managing Stress & Anxiety: To cope with stress and anxiety is one of the main reasons why many people turn to alcohol. Ashwagandha helps to reduce stress and anxiety naturally which directly or indirectly helps to reduce the need to consume alcohol to cope up with stress.
- Supporting Nervous System: Ashwagandha helps in withdrawal symptoms and cravings as it promotes relaxation by reducing the negative effects of alcohol on the nervous system.
- Improved Sleep: Excessive Alcohol Consumption disrupts sleep patterns resulting in poor sleep quality. Ashwagandha helps to reduce stress and anxiety and supports better sleep.
- Enhanced Mood: Ashwagandha helps to elevate mood by reducing the depressed feelings occurred due to excessive alcoholism.
- Better Energy: Ashwagandha boosts energy and vitality in the person making him feel physically and mentally healthier and happier.
- Shatavari (Asparagus racemosus)
Some Potential ways in which Shatavari helps to reduce alcohol consumption includes:
- Supports Liver Health: Shatavari helps to support healthy liver function, and helps to process alcohol and detoxify the body, hence beneficial for the individuals who have consumed alcohol excessively.
- Hormonal Balance: Shatavari’s hormone balancing effects also have a positive effect on men’s health and overall wellbeing during recovery of alcohol addiction and also helps to eliminate weakness.
- Stress Reduction: Shatavari has calming and soothing effects which helps to reduce stress and anxiety which are triggers for alcohol consumption.
- Kudzu (Pueraria Lobata)
Kudzu a native plant to East Asia, particularly China and Japan, is known for its potential role in helping with alcohol consumption and reducing alcohol cravings due to its primary active compounds naming isoflavones including daidzin and puerarin, these are believed to contribute it’s effects on alcohol-related behaviors. 
Kudzu: Herbs for Alcohol Addiction:
- Reduced Cravings: Kudzu extract affects the brain’s reward system which makes alcohol less appealing, helping to reduce alcohol cravings and consumption.
- Slowed Alcohol Metabolism: Kudzu may help to slow down the metabolism of alcohol in the body, which leads to an increase in blood alcohol levels after consumption. This helps to discourage excessive drinking.
- Reducing Hangover Symptoms: Kudzu helps to reduce the hangover symptoms.
- Neuroprotective Effects: Kudzu helps to lessen the harmful effects of excessive alcoholism on the brain due to its neuroprotective properties.
- Brahmi (Bacopa monnieri)
Brahmi has been used in Indian traditional medicine Ayurveda for the management of alcoholic disorders till date. Hence, it can support the individuals who are looking for ayurvedic herbs for alcohol addiction to get rid of drinking habit naturally. Some scientific studies also suggests that Brahmi can be beneficial in management of alcoholic disorders. 
- Emotional Balance: The addiction of alcohol can be tied to emotional imbalances. Brahmi’s effects on promoting emotional balance and mental clarity can be beneficial for those seeking to overcome addiction by addressing underlying emotional issues.
- Improved Cognitive Function: Brahmi is known for its positive effects on cognitive functioning. As many may know, alcohol consumption can impair cognitive function affecting the memory and decision-making. Brahmi helps to improve memory, concentration and cognitive abilities. It may also help the addicts to make conscious decisions about alcohol consumption.
- Supports Overall Well-Being: Brahmi is considered as a rejuvenating herb that supports general well-being. And when someone decides to quit alcohol, their overall well-being becomes their priority. With the help of Brahmi, it is easier to resist the cravings of alcohol by improving overall health.
- Shilajit (Asphaltum punjabinum)
Shilajit, containing over 85+ minerals, phytochemicals and other vital nutrients, is a nutritional powerhouse and considered an ayurvedic superfood due to the numerous health benefits of Himalayan Shilajit.
Besides being a wonder herb for strength, stamina, immunity and longevity, Shilajit helps to reduce the alcohol withdrawal anxiety  which plays an important role for alcohol consumption or addiction.
- Antioxidant Properties: Shilajit helps to protect cells from oxidative damage caused by the alcohol due to its antioxidants.
- Anti-Inflammatory Effects: Shilajit also has anti-inflammatory properties which helps in reducing inflammation arised due to alcohol consumption.
- Cognitive Health: Shilajit helps to improve cognitive function and memory, which can be helpful for those who are facing cognitive impairments related to alcohol use.
- Immune System: Alcohol affects the immune system, hence shilajit’s immune-boosting properties help the alcoholics recover better and faster.
- Energy & Vitality: Alcohol affects the energy levels and vitality of the user badly leaving him underconfident. Hence, Shilajit helps to combat fatigue and improve overall stamina, eliminating weakness.
- Guduchi (Tinospora cordifolia)
Guduchi also known as Giloy, is an ayurvedic herb which is primarily used for its immunomodulatory properties and its ability to support the body’s natural defense mechanisms.
However, some recent studies have tried to study the effect of Guduchi as one of key ayurvedic herbs for alcohol addiction. 
Excess alcohol can mess up how our body uses fat. Guduchi can influence the damaged lipid metabolism in alcohol addicts by affecting how our body uses fat and how messages are sent between our cells thus helping addicted person recover from alcohol use disorder naturally.
Some ways in which Guduchi contribute to managing alcohol consumption:
- Liver Health: Alcohol consumption has a detrimental effect on the liver. Guduchi can help in the alcohol de addiction journey as it supports liver function and promotes detoxification, and helps the liver to recover from stress caused by alcohol consumption.
- Digestive Health: Alcohol disrupts the digestive system, hence Guduchi helps to improve digestion by alleviating digestive issues.
- General Well-being: Guduchi works as an rejuvenation herb, it contributes to reducing the need for self-medication through alcohol by improving physical and mental well-being.
- Jatamansi (Nardostachys jatamansi)
Jatmansi’s calming and soothing effects have a positive impact on the nervous system and mental well-being.
Some ways in which Jatamansi can be beneficial to deal with alcohol consumption:
- Anxiety & Stress Reduction: By reducing stress and anxiety, Jatamansi, used as an adaptogenic herb, helps the individuals to manage these triggers more effectively.
- Better Nervous System Health: Alcohol consumption impacts the nervous system, therefore Jatmansi’s neuroprotective effects contribute to overall nervous system health. 
- Stabilized Mood: Jatamansi has a positive effect on mood and emotional well-being. It helps to manage the mood swings and emotional challenges during alcohol de addiction recovery.
- Vacha (Acorus calamus)
Vacha helps the alcoholics in improving speech, memory and cognitive functioning. It also has a calming effect on the mind, which can be helpful in psychological aspects of alcohol addiction and also helps in managing mood swings, frustration and emotional imbalances.
- Punarnava (Boerhavia diffusa)
Punarnava is helpful in the alcohol de-addiction journey due to its potential diuretic, anti-inflammatory, and detoxifying properties.  It is also believed to support kidney and liver health. Here’s how Punarnava might relate to alcohol consumption:
- Liver Health: Excessive alcohol consumption can lead to liver damage. Some traditional uses of Punarnava relate to liver support, which might indirectly benefit individuals recovering from alcohol addiction by aiding liver function.
- Detoxification: Alcohol consumption can introduce toxins into the body. Punarnava’s potential detoxifying properties might assist the body in eliminating waste products, but this is a general effect and not specifically targeted at alcohol detox.
- Diuretic Effects: Punarnava’s diuretic properties might help promote urine flow and fluid balance. This could potentially support individuals dealing with fluid retention due to alcohol consumption.
10. Shankhpushpi (Convolvulus pluricaulis)
Shankhpushpi is an ayurvedic herb which has potential cognitive benefits and stress reducing effects.
It may have these potential benefits for alcohol consumption:
- Detoxification: Some proponents suggest that Shankhpushpi may support the detoxification process, which can be beneficial as the body eliminates alcohol-related toxins.
- Relaxation: Shankhpushpi is often used to promote relaxation and calmness. This could help individuals manage cravings and withdrawal symptoms during the process of quitting alcohol.
11. Arjuna (Terminalia arjuna) 
Arjuna is an important tree used as an ayurvedic medicine traditionally, for its numerous health benefits. These benefits of Arjuna help the individuals in their deaddiction journey.
Some potential benefits of Arjuna include:
- Cardiovascular Health: Arjuna is believed to support the health of the heart and blood vessels. It may help in strengthening the heart muscles, improving circulation, and supporting overall heart function.
- Antioxidant Properties: Arjuna helps to neutralize harmful free radicals and reduce oxidative stress in the body due to its antioxidant properties.
- Blood Pressure Regulation: Arjuna helps to regulate blood pressure levels, which is also important for overall cardiovascular health.
- Cholesterol Management: Some studies suggest that Arjuna may help in managing cholesterol levels, which can be beneficial for individuals with cardiovascular concerns.
How to quit alcohol addiction naturally?
Cutting down on alcohol or quitting it naturally, can be a difficult task but not impossible. With determination, support and a holistic approach, it is possible to achieve. Try these simple and tested strategies.
- Consult an Ayurvedic Practitioner: Before starting any herbal regimen, it’s important to consult a qualified Ayurvedic practitioner. They can assess your individual constitution (dosha) and recommend a personalized treatment plan.
- Detoxification: Begin with a detoxification process to eliminate toxins accumulated from alcohol consumption. Ayurvedic detox therapies such as Panchakarma can be highly effective.
- Herbal Supplements: Incorporate Ayurvedic herbs like Ashwagandha, Brahmi, and others mentioned above into your daily routine. One can consume these herbs in the form of powders, capsules, or herbal teas.
- Mindfulness and Meditation: The connection of mind and body has importance in Ayurveda. Therefore by practicing mindfulness, meditation, and yoga can help to manage stress, anxiety, and cravings.
- Healthy Diet: Adopt a balanced, nutritious diet that supports your body’s healing process. Avoid spicy, oily, and processed foods.
- Lifestyle Changes: Make positive lifestyle changes that encourage your journey to recovery. Ensure adequate sleep, engage in regular exercise, and maintain a supportive social circle.
- Patience and Consistency: Overcoming alcohol addiction is a gradual process. Be patient with yourself and remain consistent in your herbal regimen and holistic practices.
Even if quitting alcohol is a challenging journey, it can transform your life greatly. It can be achieved with dedication and support. Herbal remedies and infusions can be valuable allies to quit alcohol, due to their natural healing properties.
If you are an alcohol addict or someone you know or your loved ones are affected by this and they are trying to get rid of alcohol addiction naturally, we at SK Group have come up with a special ayurvedic formulation.
Prepared using 17+ herbs in a GMP certified facility after years of research, Addiction Killer is an ayurvedic medicine to get rid of drinking alcohol naturally. It is 100% natural and safe with no proven side effects. This herbal medicine for addiction is also approved by the Ministry of Ayush, Government of India. This medicine can be given to the addicted person secretly by mixing it in food as well as it has no flavor that can be detected.
Also, Just remember to seek professional guidance whenever needed to create a personalized approach that fulfills your natural needs. As one can achieve a healthier and alcohol-free life filled with energy and vitality by combining ayurvedic herbs and healthier lifestyle choices like healthier diet and regular exercise or yoga.
We hope that you’ll find this list of ayurvedic herbs for alcohol addiction helpful. If you or someone you know have used one of these, let us know.
Did we missed out on any?
Let us know about the ayurvedic herbs for alcohol addiction that you think can really help people get rid of their drinking habit naturally by leaving a comment.
Namrata Goswami is an explorer of the profound wisdom and healing treasures of Ayurveda. She is dedicated to sharing the timeless teachings of this holistic medicine system that has captivated the hearts and minds of billions with its healing abilities for centuries.
Namrata’s deep curiosity into the ayurvedic herbs and their amazing benefits, began her journey in this niche. She aspires to uncover the secrets and intricacies of the herbs, remedies and lifestyle according to Ayurveda.
From finding the therapeutic properties of the ayurvedic herbs to probing into personalized remedies according to the different health problems, her work will inspire, educate and guide the readers to achieve a balanced lifestyle in a Ayurvedic way.
Join her to embrace the healing grace of nature. Follow her here on WordPress to embark on a journey towards vitality, harmony and overall wellness.